Saturday, June 7, 2014

Dear Mr. Knightley- book number 1 of my summer reading list

I finished my first book from my summer reading list. I read Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay. It was a great way to start of my summer reading list. I really loved this book. I loved the storyline. It wasn't an easy story. There were very real life emotions and situations but it wasn't graphic and very happily had no language. It made me think and cry and smile. I loved Sam the main character. She is so flawed and has been through so much. I can't begin to explain how much I identified with her character. I felt like I was reading about myself a lot of the time. I loved her love of books and made me think about the things I use in my own life to protect myself. I loved watching her discover who she is and who she wants to be. It made me think harder about my relationships and about myself.
That being said I can only give it 4 out of 5 stars because it is an almost identical storyline to the book Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster published in 1912. The whole time I was reading the book I kept thinking of that book and wondering if this is a modern day retelling but from everything that I have seen it is not. If you haven't ever read that book then you have nothing to worry about. I loved both books and they do have differences but are essentially the same story. I would highly recommend this book and would love to have someone to talk about it with. The copy I read has book club questions at the end that also gave me a lot to think about. I wish that I was in a bookclub because I would love to hear the conversations about this book. It would give you a lot to talk about.
Here is a link to the book on goodreads

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17657649-dear-mr-knightley?from_search=true

 Now on to book number 2... not sure what it will be yet but I'll keep you posted!
Happy Reading!

0 comments: